Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Hilton Liverpool

A poem communicated in Morse by torchlight, from the sixth floor executive suite of the Hilton hotel. This piece worked really well, answering the buried poem under the entrance to the building buried in a different time.

I initially had a limited period of time and focussed completely on being in the moment and on the action, of writing and signalling, the film being intended initially as documentation rather than as a piece in itself. The temporal action and the transformation of a hotel to a lighthouse, the creation of a huge environment with a light touch and minimal tools felt like the real piece.

Working in this time between guests checking out and checking in, this invisible unregistered period, I felt like an unseen ghost in the hotel, and also that I was really inhabiting the place, rather than passing through on the surface as a guest. The transaction and chance of being allowed up into the room added to the feeling of magical chance and focus.



No comments:

Post a Comment