After consideration I suggested a artist's residency based on for example the residency at CERN, the European organisation for nuclear research. I know filmmaker Ken McMullen who completed a residency at CERN and produced a really beautiful film piece in the Particle accelerator, Lumen de Lumine.
Andy was very keen on my setting up as LJMU Astrophysics artist in residence, however in reality, on reflection, they don't yet have the facilities - no physical access to a room to work from, no access to young astrophysics researchers, office like facilities without raw material in terms of clear material or data - really it would only be a residency in name. I'm wary and quite cynical of the overuse of the term artist residency for CV purposes and didn't want to perpetuate it.
I was very keen to get into Bidston Observatory, taken over as a future artist's residency by friends of visiting lecturer Chris Evans, and suggested a collaboration where I work from Bidston as a base. I was gripped by Bidston as the perfect location for me for many reasons, it's elemental observation, its magic state between one time and use and another, the idea of working as an invisible ghost when it is not yet habitated, and thought that I could also use the LJMU Astrophysics connection as a way in.
Very positively, after these conversations I'm sure that Andy would be interested in setting up a residency with LJMU art students in the future, with more time to plan and to consider facilities and access to resource, e.g. a room to work from, availability to researchers to interpret data and inspire, possibly small funding.
I'm also very sure that he would be interested in setting up a genuine residency with these type of facilities in the future with me, which could be a really interesting opportunity.
Andy was very keen on my setting up as LJMU Astrophysics artist in residence, however in reality, on reflection, they don't yet have the facilities - no physical access to a room to work from, no access to young astrophysics researchers, office like facilities without raw material in terms of clear material or data - really it would only be a residency in name. I'm wary and quite cynical of the overuse of the term artist residency for CV purposes and didn't want to perpetuate it.
I was very keen to get into Bidston Observatory, taken over as a future artist's residency by friends of visiting lecturer Chris Evans, and suggested a collaboration where I work from Bidston as a base. I was gripped by Bidston as the perfect location for me for many reasons, it's elemental observation, its magic state between one time and use and another, the idea of working as an invisible ghost when it is not yet habitated, and thought that I could also use the LJMU Astrophysics connection as a way in.
Very positively, after these conversations I'm sure that Andy would be interested in setting up a residency with LJMU art students in the future, with more time to plan and to consider facilities and access to resource, e.g. a room to work from, availability to researchers to interpret data and inspire, possibly small funding.
I'm also very sure that he would be interested in setting up a genuine residency with these type of facilities in the future with me, which could be a really interesting opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment